- Fortune Maida (2 ½ Cups)
- Ghee ( 3 tbsp)
- Water (As required)
- Oil (To deep fry)
- Fortune Sugar (2 cups)
- Water (1 cup)
- Cinnamon stick ( ½ inch)
- Cardamom powder (1 tsp)
- Saffron (A pinch )
- Pistachios Chopped (For garnish)
for sugar syrup
- In a bowl add Fortune Maida, ghee and mix well.
- Add water and knead into a hard dough.
- Cover with moist muslin cloth and keep to rest for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile to make sugar syrup add 2 cups of Fortune Sugar, water, cinnamon, cardamom powder, saffron, and mix well. Boil the sugar syrup until 1 string consistency is attained.
- Divide the dough into equal portions and dust the both portions of the dough with maida and roll with the rolling pin to form a large rectangle. And keep aside.
- Take one portion and apply 1 tbsp ghee, sprinkle maida and spread well.
- Cover with the second rectangle and press well from all sides.
- Tightly roll from one end to make a cylinder
- Freeze the dough for 15 mins in freezer.
- Meanwhile check on the sugar syrup and once ready keep it aside.
- Remove the dough from the freezer and cut into 1 inch equal pieces. Keep aside.
- Gently press each piece in the centre and using rolling pin roll horizontally. Repeat for all the pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and once the oil is hot enough deep fry the khaja till golden brown.
- Remove the khaja in a plate and keep aside.
- Coat each pieces in sugar syrup until syrup reaches every flake of the khaja.
- Grease a plate with ghee and remove sugar syrup coated khaja on to it.
- Transfer the khaja to a serving plate and garnish with chopped pistachios. Serve as desired