- Green chillies roughly chopped (2 tsp)
- Ginger roughly chopped (2 tsp)
- Salt (as per the taste )
- Curd whisked (1 1/2 cup)
- Powdered sugar (1 1/2 tbsp)
- Red chilli powder (2 tsp)
- Cumin seeds powder (Jeera) (2 tsp)
- Coriander finely chopped (1 tbsp)
- Date & tamarind condiment (khajur imli chutney) (2 tbsp)
- Split black gram (urad dal) soaked for 2 hours and drained (1/2 cup)
Blend dal, salt, ginger and green chillies to a smooth paste. You will need approximately ¼ cup of water.
Now heat oil in a kadhai and add 3-4 spoonful of batter to it. Deep-fry not more than 3–4 vadas at a time. When they are golden brown in colour, drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
Next, mix sugar with curd in a bowl and set aside.
Once the vadas are cool to touch, soak them in a deep bowl for 15 mins.
After 15 mins, squeeze out the extra moisture and flatten the vadas between your palms lightly.
Arrange 2–3 vadas (depending on size) on a serving plate and top them with half of the curd mix.
Time to add the zing! Now even top the vadas with a pinch of red chilli powder, 1 tbsp khajur imli chutney, a little cumin powder and if you like, black salt.
Garnish with sev and serve immediately.