Desi Health Bites is an exciting blogger program by Fortune Rice Bran Health Oil
Back to category
Guthi Vankaya Koora
- Author: Rajani Vaidya
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: Under 30 mins, including baking time
- Serves 4
- 500 grams small purple brinjals
- 2 tbsp Fortune Rice Bran Health oil
- 1/4 cup dried coconut (copra) slices
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds (dhania)
- 2 tbsp chana dal
- 2 tsp urad dal
- 6-7 red chillies
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 tsp cumin (jeera)
- 1 tsp salt
- Add 1/2 tsp oil to a fry pan, and fry dry coconut slices, chopped onion, dhania, chana dal, urad dal, red chillies, cinnamon, cloves, jeera over medium heat until chana dal turns golden brown.
- Cool and grind with salt to a coarse powder.
- Rinse the brinjals, chop off the stem. Make 'X' slits starting from the bottom of each brinjal, going up to the head, but take care to leave the head intact.
- Stuff the slits with the prepared spice powder.
- Preheat grill in microwave oven at 220°C.
- Place the stuffed brinjals filling-side upward, in a suitable oven-proof glass bowl.
- Drizzle the remaining oil over the brinjals and grill covered for the first 10 minutes, then open for the next 5-7 minutes.
- The Guthi Vankaya is ready when the brinjal feels soft to touch and the filling looks toasted.
- Serve with steamed rice or rotis.
Comments under moderation