Desi Health Bites is an exciting blogger program by Fortune Rice Bran Health Oil
Back to category
Methi Brown Rice Pulao
- Author: Hina Gujral
- Prep time: 15 mins includes soaking time
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- Serves 2-4
- 1 cup brown Basmati rice
- 4 tbsp Fortune Rice Bran Health oil
- 5-6 cashews, sliced
- 1 star anise
- 2 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 5 - 6 mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 2 bunches fenugreek leaves (~200 grams), roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup curd, whisked
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 cups water
- Clean and wash brown rice in water. Soak rice in enough water for 15 minutes.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, heat Fortune Rice Bran Health oil over medium heat. Add sliced cashews and fry until light golden, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, add star anise and crushed cardamom pods, fry until aromatic.
- Add sliced onions and fry on low heat until onions turn golden brown, roughly 7-8 minutes.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Add chopped mint leaves, green chili and fenugreek leaves. Saute over low heat for 5 minutes, until greens are wilted.
- Add drained brown rice and saute for few minutes. Add spice powders, whisked curd and saute for 2 - 3 minutes. Add 2 cups water to saucepan. Water quantity depends on the rice you are using. Brown rice takes longer to cook than usual rice and is chewier in texture.
- Once water is added let rice cook over low heat till all the water has evaporated. Cover the pan with tight fitting lid and let rice cook in steam for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes turn off the heat and let rice sit in the saucepan for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the lid and fluff the rice with spoon. Mix fried cashews in the cooked pulao. Serve hot with curd or raita.
Comments under moderation