Desi Health Bites is an exciting blogger program by Fortune Rice Bran Health Oil
Back to category
Hyderabadi Baghare Chawal
- Author: Lubna Karim
- Prep time: 30 mins (including soaking time)
- Cooking time: Under 30 minutes
- Serves 4-6
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 3 tbsp Fortune Rice Bran Health oil
- 2 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4cup chopped coriander leaves
- 5-6 mint leaves
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp homemade garam masala powder*
- Mint and coriander leaves for garnish
- Wash and soak basmati rice in enough water for 30 minutes.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat Fortune Rice Bran Health oil. Add cloves, green cardamoms, cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Stir for few seconds.
- Add sliced onions and fry on medium heat until golden, around 6-8 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and green chillies. Fry until tomatoes are soft.
- To this add ginger-garlic paste and fry for 2 minutes. Add chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves and fry for 1 minute on high.
- Reduce the flame, add drained basmati rice and gently coat the rice with the masala in the pan. Add water, salt, turmeric and garam masala powder.
- Cook on low flame by sealing the vessel with a foil or lid till rice is completely cooked.
- Once the rice is done, keep it covered for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves/coriander leaves and serve hot.
- *To make garam masala powder: Dry roast 3 cloves, 2 green cardamoms, 1 cinnamon stick, 6 black peppercorns and 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds one by one for 1-2 minutes in a heavy bottomed pan. Once cooled, grind to fine powder. Store in an airtight container for future use.
Comments under moderation